Mock Chow Mien
Mock Chow Mein is a hearty and delicious American-Chinese dish that is perfect for a satisfying main course. This recipe starts with ground beef, which is browned and then combined with diced onions, celery, and sliced water chestnuts. The mixture is then flavored with a combination of ShirleyJ Universal Sauce and chicken bouillon, which creates a rich and savory sauce that is both sweet and tangy.To make this dish, the ground beef mixture is combined with uncooked rice and water and baked in a Dutch oven or ovenproof roasting pan for approximately two hours, stirring occasionally. The result is a thick and flavorful mixture that is perfect for serving over crispy Chinese noodles.Mock Chow Mein is a great option for a family dinner or a potluck gathering, as it can be made in large batches and is sure to satisfy everyone's appetite. The combination of tender ground beef, crunchy celery and water chestnuts, and sweet and savory sauce make for a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone will love.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 ea Onions, diced
- 1 c Celery, diced
- 2 c ShirleyJ Universal Sauce (Whisk Bliss)
- 6 c Water
- 2 tsp ShirleyJ Chicken Bouillon
- 1 c Uncooked rice
- 1 small can Water chestnuts, sliced
- In a large, Dutch oven or ovenproof roasting pan, brown ground beef and drain.
- In a separate bowl, combine water, bouillon, and universal sauce.
- Stir. Add this mixture to the cooked ground beef, along with the remaining ingredients, stir, and cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately two hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over crispy Chinese noodles.